Friday, April 1, 2011

XXX is the new PG-13


…Where adult content is considered suitable for the PG generation.


By: ShebaMama
Yesterday I was sitting in my car parked outside of my son’s school waiting for school to let out; I decided to listen to some music to help pass time and since I was bored from my cd collection I decided to turn the radio on instead. I turn to a popular radio station in my city, where the DJ announces the next song and I’m thinking to myself...“Okay Sexy Girl Anthem...cool what’s this about”…the beat was cool, the melody was alright but it was some of the lyrics that struck a chord with me…and when that song ended the other songs that came on afterwards had the same message from “Turning the booty around and rub it on me to removing them pants and lemme see you do it with no hands until you drop and gimme 50 because I just wanna make you wet sweat.

Now all these songs in all fairness is all for one thing adult entertainment, understandable. The fact that songs like this are easily influencing the younger generation, not so cool.   Now it’s a major known fact that a majority of urban music is geared towards the club. Even as you are reading this, I bet you can name about 10 urban songs right off the top of your head that implicates the clubbing lifestyle; from making love in it to just poppin’ bottles. Now and days it’s all about marketing and franchising but at what cost?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not against that kind of music! Hell I’ll keep it 100 and admit that I turn into a different person whenever I hear Travis Porter - Make It Rain but I’m 27! That music is for my appropriate age demographic but when the industry is over sensationalizing music like that making it seem appropriate to adolescent and pre adolescent teenagers that’s when I have to pull the brakes and say enough is enough!
I remember a few years back when Jamie Foxx’s video “Blame it on the alcohol” debut on 106 & Park and I was a bit confused especially with BET’s self-righteous double standard agenda. Now 106 & Park is basically a black TRL; it is geared towards teenagers and I remember how Terrence and Rocsi were hyping the video to an audience of minors. While I’m sitting back and thinking to myself…WHAT THE HELL WOULD TEENAGERS KNOW ABOUT BLAMING ANYTHING ON ALCOHOL, LET ALONE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION? What message is BET really sending?

Ciara gyrating and popping her crouch in front of a camera…bad

Songs and music videos that basically insinuate the same innuendoes BUT with clever marketing…….good?
 



                              Word???


I guess if Ciara was gyrating and p-popping over a bottle of Miscoto or Nuvo her video would have been aired on that channel.
There used to come a time where strippers were deemed unacceptable or taboo. They were practically used as punch lines and scenarios for shows like Married with children or Jerry Springer.  But now strippers are now celebrated and revered to where a light skin bald head chick can be famous solely on the fact that she was discovered in a strip club by her famous Rapper/Boyfriend. Now don’t get me wrong I have nothing against strippers, exotic dancers etc., it is an art form and for many ladies a way to pay bills. My problem is how society especially the urban culture is glorifying it to the extent that they are.

Stripping has become the new vice to young black girls the way drug dealing and gangbanging is to young black males. It is glamorized in such a fashion to where some youngsters feel like it’s the only way to be successful.

For young black males; financial prosperity is only gained through drug dealing and pimping and the definition of a man is determined by how many felonies he has and how many girls he can fuck around the world.
For the young girls; acceptance and admiration from a man is solely based on how fast you can drop it low, how long one can stay on the pole and fast and wide you spread them hips.

 Young girls are more convinced that they will gain more if they pimp out their integrity and morality for a little affection and an ounce of acceptance.

This sincere concern comes from a personal place; with me being a product of single parent household where my father wasn’t as involved in my life as he should have been; I was a young girl that was muddled with the complexities of trying to find acceptance and love through the men I was involved with. So I know firsthand the effect of a young girl that doesn’t have a positive male figure in their life that demonstrates to them what real love, respect, attention and most of all what acceptance is all about. My mother did her best demonstrating to me values and self respect but I was still craving the affection of my absent male counterpart. I so desperately wanted to be special and desired so I seek the affection and attention of being “Daddy’s little girl” through my relationships and due to my immaturity and easy persuasion I looked to the examples I heard on the radio and what I saw on television as my representation of what and how to be...because all I just wanted to be was special to somebody. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way and sadly there will be many young girls out there that will as well if another group doesn’t step in.

The Parents
 Especially The Fathers
The bottom line is this; it’s very obvious that the industry, media, system, the man, the devil, the illuminati (whoever or whatever you wanna call them) wants us to self destruct! That’s why every 10 years they keep blurring the lines of what’s decent. It is up to us as a community to keep those lines intact for the sake of our children. To be positive examples that help offset the negative alternatives that they are pushing on our community. For mothers and fathers to value their sons and daughters as well as shield them for mature themes and content that they are not yet ready to be exposed to. Understand that before they learn anything out in the world that the most crucial and viable clues they pick up on is from home. So I ask for all of my mothers and fathers of color to be more conscious and aware of what you instill and expose to your children.  

In other words…leave sexy time to grown folks!
And to you ratchet mothers out there make sure that you keep your slutty shit away from your children.


NOT A GOOD LOOK!

AND NEITHER IS THIS:

2 comments:

  1. This is a great topic and definitely something that needs to be addressed. I believe Debra Lee and BET have made some great headway, but much still needs to be done. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very much true and thanks for your input. Debra Lee is trying her best but it is still an uphill battle as far as making that network a more well rounded network. I'm just frustrated with how we as people of color are objectifying ourselves and thumbing our nose at our own community. Because in the end the only people that we are hurting is ourselves.

    ReplyDelete